Voir Dire (Speak the Truth)

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Let's get together...

For the Gospel that is!!

I do plan on returning to the post I started regarding questions, but I would be remiss if I did not mention anything about the conference I had the wonderful privilege of attending last week. Mark Dever, Ligon Duncan, Al Mohler and C.J. Mahaney, joined by friends John Piper, R.C. Sproul, John MacArthur and close to 3000 Pastors and Church leaders convened in Louisville for the Together for the Gospel conference. To put words to and event like this would hardly do it justice. I felt truly privileged to sit under the preaching of the 7 men (if you have not heard of these men I encourage you to seek them out) mentioned above as well as sit amongst Pastors who desire to proclaim the glory of God through the preaching of his gospel. My heart was renewed afresh as the clear exposition of scripture was proclaimed with conviction and passion. Friends, if you are not hearing the word of God clearly and accurately preached on a regular basis, I would encourage you to seek it out and feast upon the Glory of God.

One of the many things from the conference that stuck with me was CJ Mahaney when introducing John Piper quoted Jonathan Edwards writhing about what makes a good preacher, Simply put Edwards said, “a good preacher when he is finished, leaves God with you!” WOW!!! That means that good preaching can be measured by the preachers ability to magnify the worth and glory of God. It means that you should have a greater sense of the majesty of God when you leave and your life’s circumstances and self-absorbing issues should pale in comparison to the awesomeness of God.

We all need to hear this as pastors and as men and women who sit under these Shepard’s. If you are a Pastor, hear this; leave God with your congregations. Not funny stories or principles for their daily life but the all-satisfying God who is jealous for his name. And brothers and sisters let us seek to hear God, him glorified, and be satisfied with nothing less than, leaving with God!!!!

2 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Jeff and Jodie said...

Hey Man,

It's Jeff McMullen. Great to see you blogging. It is exciting to here all you are wrestling with. I hope you and your family are well.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Philip Duncanson said...

Well said Keith. Perhaps one of the scariest passages in the bible is found in Matthew 7, where Jesus say’s that there will be many on judgment day who claim all of these accomplishments in His name, but He will say, “away from me, for I never knew you”. My prayer is that God would keep our hearts and our minds from error and that we would remain faithful to his word!

Thanks for the comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home